New Android development environment (Android studio)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eraste, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    I didn't know if any of you guys had seen this yet.

Android Studio

I was wondering when Google would come along with something proprietary. States on the page there that this will be the "official" Android IDE once it is complete. Hopefully Google will still support Eclipse once this project goes live.

I do like the looks of this thing, looks a lot more polished than Eclipse along the lines of Apples swift, I myself haven't downloaded the BETA and given it a try yet but from what I have read its really nice and has more features than Eclipse.

Does this have any implications for LWC? Probably not Code is code and so long as you can edit it whichever development environment you choose really does not matter.
  2. Ramjet Active Member

Message Count:
    It's been available for about 12 months now. It's a bit different to eclipse, but you can compile an eclipse project in android studio, and vice-versa. I prefer eclipse just because I'm used to it, but I think android studio will be better for the latest features in the long run. You're right about proprietry software - Google are slowly close sourcing android by not updating their open source stuff in the AOSP project, 'Google Android', as opposed to 'Open Source Android' will be a walled garden the same as apple before long. Already the two android versions are very different.

At some point in the future, we'll only have Android Studio as an option, when they stop updating their eclipse plugins, so the sooner we get used to it the better I guess?
  3. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    I agree. At some point everything will be proprietary. Even as it stands now at least in the U.S. Carriers still control personal development on Android devices not allowing customers to root or unlock their bootloaders. My favorite line in a command prompt when buying a new Android (HTC) was: fastboot oem unlock. Now carriers have said no more of that mess, even HTC folded to AT&T and will not issue any unlock tokens for their devices. Google is pushing for a more streamlines OS which to me translates into a more simplified OS such as IOS! This all started with the cloud push. Google took the ability to mount devices as an actual drive away long ago replacing it with "media server".

Very sad considering what Google stated it wanted Android to be in the beginning.
  4. Ramjet Active Member

Message Count:
    Eraste likes this.
  5. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    I heard great things about the studio. I'm still very much an Eclipse guy, but god knows I hate Eclipse. It's really buggy and when your workspace gets corrupted, it's the last thing you want to be dealing with. I plan to check out Android Studio and I hope it will be good :)