How to implement ads?

Discussion in 'Advertising Discussion' started by mbiggiero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mbiggiero New Guy

Message Count:
    Hi all!
    Instead of making demo versions for my live wallpaper, i'd like to have an ads-free version and another with ads. So, is it possible to implement ads in the LWP? If yes, which one you think is better, and how?

Thanks.
  2. Vas Origin

Message Count:
  3. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    Dude, I really wish you read the forum first. This subject has been literally beaten into the ground here and there is so much information (that's not hard to find) posted everywhere about it.
  4. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    Im not trying to be mean/uncivil but come on.
  5. mbiggiero New Guy

Message Count:
    you're right, sorry. i cant believe i missed the tutorial section.
    *facepalm*
  6. mbiggiero New Guy

Message Count:
    so, i managed to implement startapp. lets see if it will work.
    should i add also leadbolt? or it's "too intrusive"?
  7. Maximus Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Well, to be honest push notifications DO cause some users to uninstall or even worse, give negative reviews. However, they do bring in money =\ Push notifications and, recently, Startapp are the main ways to monetize Live Wallpapers. I personally use both push notifications and Startapp and it works pretty well.

Since Startapp pays per install, you will earn decent money as long as your daily installs don't waver. However, all apps plateau. When they plateau (meaning your total number of active users stops growing or grows/declines at a very slow pace since your # of daily installs will be around the same # of daily uninstalls), Startapp will no longer generate as much money as before. THIS is the time where push notifications shine. A lot of people don't actually mind push notifications. There are people who complain about them, but there are also people who understand that it allows us to keep these applications free and not only tolerate them, some even click. If you have push notifications enabled from the start, and you don't increase frequency or mess around with or anything, you will slowly build up a base of users who enjoy the wallpaper and don't mind the notifications. When your application plateaus, that base is what will continue to make you money.

So, when you publish the app with both push notifications and Startapp, Startapp will make you the most money and push notifications won't. Over time, you will notice how the # of ad requests for the push notifications builds up and eventually will overtake the amount of money Startapp makes you. It's a pretty awesome system in my opinion. I made back my $50 reaaaally fast using this!

Also, I would highly recommend Airpush over Leadbolt. I have applications with both companies and Leadbolt's ECPMs are almost always under a dollar, if not under 50 cents. Although it sometimes randomly spikes up for a day, it is usually consistent in it's low ECPMs. I've been with Airpush for a bit over a month and they pay much more. This is WITHOUT GPS permissions for geographically catered ads (which increases revenues I'm told) and WITHOUT collecting IDs (which definitely does increase revenues, but I find it to be very intrusive so I don't include it).
  8. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    Here are my opinions on ads and advertising companies:

Here is my stagey: I do my advertising through leadbolt and keep my lwp's on an "On Demand" schedule. An "On Demand" schedule means that every time a user opens my lwp (in settings menu or after install) they get sent a notification ad. Users also get a notification ad every time their phone restarts, regaurdless if my lwp is set on their home screen or not, which is a nice bonus. This, in my opinion, makes up for not having start app because like start app; the user gets an ad every time the lwp is started. The schedule is light, the users don't mind and I have yet to receive a negative review for leadbolt's advertising (though I'm sure ones coming). I also have enough app traffic to keep a good cash flow going through this schedule.
    My plans for the future: I plan on adding another notification into my apps (another section ID) so I can also send "Recurring" ads to my inactive users. This will boost my revenue slightly and it will make sure that all my users receive their fair share of ads. I am not quite sure how to do this so I posted another thread in this forum, I'm just waiting for a response from Vas.

My thoughts on Start-app:
    In my opinion I would stay away from start app. Start app, in my opinion, isn't optimal for live wallpapers because live wallpapers are not traditional apps. Start app works by using a pop-up EULA to send ads to users once a user opens an app. That might be fine for traditional apps, but for live wallpapers its not because they run forever in the background of phones. This means that every time you restart your phone, or the lwp resets for whatever reason, your users will receive a pop-up EULA, and if it happens randomly or out of context from your live wallpaper, it will piss them off, and they will cry malware and uninstall your software.
    Also, I think that combining both start app and push notifications is foolish. I think it will over spam your users, destroy your user base (or prevent one from even forming), and it will ruin you. I submit to you this question: Do you install apps that are laden with negative reviews that say "spam", or "malware"? Do you even consider apps with less then a 3 star review? I don't and neither do most users. Don't fall into that, or you'll be ruined.

My thoughts on AirPush Vs. Leadbolt:
    Contrary to Maximus I have had a very negative experience with AirPush. I tried them out, and when I did, it almost ruined me. They spam the shit out of your users, and force download malware onto their devices. A week after installing airpush ads my users were fleeing in droves and leaving behind very negative, airpush related hate comments. People know what an airpush ad is, what it looks like, and what it does to phones, and its not positive.
    Also on the dev side of things, their customer service is shit/non-existent, they short you on payments and their ECPM's, while initially high, shrink to nothing. That is what I experienced with them.
    Leadbolt, in my opinion is light years ahead of airpush. Their customer service is second to none, they have a support team dedicated to helping you, you get your own personal support assistant that google+ chats with you frequently, and their ads are kind to users and are completely controllable. I have never experienced ecpm's as low as $0.50 with leadbolt. My ECPM's have been stable around $1.80-$2.20. There are days when it randomly spikes up, which are awesome, but it never dips below the average of $1.80-$2.20. Leadbolt is a nice company that is kind to users while making you as much money as possible, I would choose them over airpush any day.

Hope this helps you out man.
  9. mbiggiero New Guy

Message Count:
    thank you for your insights.
    i still have some doubts. first, i thought startapp shows the eula only 1 time per user (before applying the wallpaper). Am i wrong?
    and second, do you think it's better to publish apps with push notification from the start, or to add them later?
    As for the leadbolt vs airpush thing, i think i'll go with leadbolt for now.

EDIT: and one another question: what market's are you using? i've uploaded everything google play some days ago, but it's still pretty invisible, i dont know why. then i uploaded them on slideme, and i got something like 500 downloads the first two days. i also added them on appbrain, and now im going to upload everything on getjar. i also think that amazon store should be very profitable, but i cant pay the developer's fee right now

EDIT 2: if i am using only startapp, that there is no sense in uploading paid apps? i mean, startapp isnt invasive, and right after accepting the eula and removing the desktop icon, the lwp is completely ads-free
  10. Maximus Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Hmm, I'm not exactly sure why Stollo and I had such opposite experiences with Airpush and Leadbolt, but either way it's good to hear that not everyone that uses Leadbolt/Airpush gets burned :p

As for Startapp, I am fairly certain the EULA will only reappear if you uninstall the app and reinstall it after (which would be a returning user under Startapp terminology and would net you $0.01 if it's a US returning user or $0.005 if it is a non US returning user). I haven't received any complaints for Startapp and my applications all currently fluctuate in the 4.3-4.9/5 star rating (and they have both push notifications and Startapp in them).

Also I'm not too sure people know the difference between Airpush and Leadbolt notifications tbh. I receive both on my phone and even I don't know which one is which. :X