Optimizing resource items

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jerry-me, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    While working with the file size optimization I always notice that the final file size was about 3 to 4 times the resource file. I did notice that the main drawable and the normal hdpi folder has the same resolution images and the mdpi folder having the images reduced. I do think it’s better to optimize the code by loading the images files on the drawable only mostly due to it can double the file size and add use more ram and I think you might need an advanced option where you can import your own medium sized images due to the program just reduces the images as a non interlaced png which negates any file optimization. It’s quite alarming when the reduced file is twice the file size when the image size is smaller. I do think it might be better if the user can import their mid resolution image to reduce the file size.

Last thing I noticed is with the item is that it adds 1 item per picture. Unless 2.5 allows you to manually set the chance of an item popping up I do suggest to optimize the code by creating a chance of an item popping up or allow the item classes to load the same image file rather than each item class being tied to each picture. I do think doing these should add less stress on the ram and performance boost.
    Vas likes this.
  2. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    This is probably more of a bug. We had issues with the way background images were getting saved in 1.0. We will revisit this area before 2.5 is released. Thanks for reporting this :)
  3. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    Another thing I did notice after a while is that I think the code itself loads everything at once which tends to causes the wallpaper to force close depending on how many individual images it needs to load. I’m not sure if it’s because of the issue above but I do think if the 2.5 version doesn’t have it I think the future updates might need some optimizations in loading the images due to animated images and possibly more effects in the future versions might cause some problems in the future.

This is just a theory I found mostly due to working with the last few wallpapers but I do think it might need to be looked at eventually.