ways to advertise/expose your apps on the market?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RyanXVII, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RyanXVII New Guy

Message Count:
    hey guys,

now that most of us will eventually get to that state where we are ready to sell/upload our apps to the marketplace, what's some good tips/tricks on getting your apps seen by others on the marketplace?

I know in older versions of the market they had a "just in" category which i thought was neat for new dev's, now they've taken that away and just have "top category" selections and trending which is almost similar but still kinda sucks :\

I think using facebook, twitter, linkedin, tumblr and any other social network available to your advantage is a good start. friends and family for support.

one of my questions though are tags, how would one stumble across another's apps without advertising through admob or etc. unlike youtube videos we can't tag our apps for easier search queries so what's some good advice on that?

posting or advertising on other forums are usually against ToS and will just have your thread deleted/locked.

feel free to add more or help out existing questions :)
  2. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    They do have some sort of tag system which the tags have to be part of the name, publisher or on the description text. I’ve added a few of the tags within the sentence with a few adjectives and I did notice an increase in downloads but I do agree that the market tag system is quite bad.

Maybe a free and a paid version might help but I’ll get back to you on that once I test it out tonight but I’m hope I get 1:7 to 1:10 ratio in terms of people that like it would buy it. Last time I checked the total downloads were about 70 with the Mizuki themed one being the more popular one and with the current higher install ratio.

I guess more impressive and unique stuff might have a potential to sell but it should be a lot easier with the 2.5 update.

I guess overall it has to look better than their previous wallpaper to the point that they would want to switch and try to find an audience that would buy your stuff.
  3. ToolMasterFlex Administrator

Message Count:
    Hey Ryan. Not really a promotional advice but you should seriously consider posting a video of the wallpaper in the description . Preferably recorded on the phone - I suggest using Screencast Video Recorded ( its like 5 bux on the market, but make sure it works well on your phone - try the demo first before you buy, not all phones are supported) but it is a lot more effective at getting people to buy/install your wallpaper. Hard to judge the live wallpaper based on screenshot alone. posting it on youtube gives you extra exposure - use popular keywords in your tags.
  4. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Videos are massive for promotion. I highly recommend using them.

You can also use the demo version to advertise your paid version. Or create your own custom demo version. Jerry, had a good idea of creating more items for his Lunar Fashion lwps, with the premium version having more items than the free one.

If you are a part of some other forums, where you are an established member, showing your artwork should be allowed. Obviously, registering just for the sake of posting a link to the Android market on a forum will likely be frowned upon by that forum's administration.

You can also submit your lwps to other markets. The Android market isn't the only one around.

If I can think of any more ideas, I'll be sure to post them here :)
  5. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    Does anyone know any other markets besides the Android Market?
  6. Vas Origin

Message Count:
  7. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I put Reiko Tenshin Wallpaper in slide me and pdassi but I'll wait a bit before putting more of the recent ones due to the lack of a DRM or having to hard code the DRM.
  8. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    Having only experimented with the Android Market, it would be interesting to see what kind of success you may have with those markets.
  9. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    After a few test on those markets I can give a quick first impression on the markets.
    My first application app is still waiting and no notification of the status being changed which I can’t tell if it’s worth it or not due to the long wait time. So I’ll give my second impression after its gets approved/rejected.
    Soc.io market I was a littler weary of it due to the a lot of the images were originally broken but I launched a test one to see how well it will do but I’m not expecting much due to the low downloads on that site.
    Pidass.com might be a decent place due to I got a couple of downloads on the first day thus it might be a decent market to add some of our wallpapers. More mainstream wallpaper might sell more but I’ll continue to add more to see the overall progress.
    Last one I found before the link but MobiHand.com might be a decent place due to the Megami Saga wallpaper sold. I’m testing with a few others soon.

I’m going to slowly add some more wallpapers to the markets and starting to have better sales than the android market. I’ll make a second impression later one I slowly add a few more to those markets.
  10. Vas Origin

Message Count:
  11. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I'll try it out when 2.5 is released and update my info.
  12. Jerry-me New Guy

Message Count:
    I’ve gathered a lot more data recently and I’ll most likely send it via email later this month due to I need to write it but It mostly contains data on public sales data on several wallpapers including several of the communities wallpapers and several conclusions.
  13. NoahCarcia New Guy

Message Count: