StartApp - Detected virus AdWare!

Discussion in 'Advertising Discussion' started by Vinicius, May 10, 2013.

1. Vinicius In the know

Message Count:
    Staff users to use startapp but am having some problems, and avg antivirus eset, are citing the app with startapp as adware and eset sitando until he como trojan lol! I'm getting bad reviews for these decteção virus!

Someone here uses startapp and have this problem too?

Sorry my english!
  2. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Ive had one or two.... keeping startapp though. People who actually trust anti virus software are goofy. It in itself is a virus

Note 2 ftw
  3. James Rebello Active Member

Message Count:
    Yes I also get some bad reviews about having virus. These people don't even know the difference between ads and virus. You can just reply to these reviews if possible
  4. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    I would refer you to the start-app thread. My advice, dump start-app and head to Leadbolt. AVG flagged start-app because they are super invasive. They will likely keep the virus notification in future updates.
  5. stollo770 LWC Major

Message Count:
    I trust anti virus software because it keeps my phone safe and secure. I'm not goofy. Start-app is ultra invasive, which is why they are correctly flagged by AVG. I also don't understand why you think AVG is a virus.
    Eraste likes this.
  6. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:
    Ask the countries, companies, Godaddy, Twitter, Facebook, Playstation, etc who have been shut down, hacked, destroyed, and stolen from by hacking group anonymous and various others. Virus protection is always playing catch up. False sense of security nothing more.

Why its worthless? If I want your stuff I will get it no matter what you are running.
    http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2010/05/in-theory-your-antivirus-software-is-worthless/
    http://www.reliablenetworks.com/uncategorized/antivirus-software-worthless/

As you stated. The only reason it's flagged is simply the number of permissions required. Does that make start app a virus? Nope. Startapp is not destructive to your device. Will not store information, delete information, destroy your file system ultimately crashing your phone. lol.

Best way to prevent infection?
    Stay away from bad websites.
    Don't open anonymous emails when you don't know who sent them or they look suspicious or to good to be true (free stuff)
    Don't download software from unsecure websites.

Those three things are the only protection you have against hackers/viruses. A $100 norton/mcafee security suit will only catch a small percentage of the constantly changing malware/virus scene.

The following website is operated by independent AV comparison companies and tests various anti virus software in "real world situations" for major companies and others like those mentioned above who have been decimated.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

Startling results that have payers/users of antivirus software raging mad. AVG is included in this test and is one of the better programs (stopping roughly 98% depending on users that number could drop to as low as only 92%) as its free but still users were infected!, Latest report April 2013:
    883 valid tests only 338 blocked! That means 545 were infected. That's over half!!! WOW Ahnlab a $49.95 virus protection program only caught(stopped) 88% of infections and was the worst performer during the test bwahaha.

Anyway enough on worthless virus protection.

I agree with Stollo though about leadbolt. They are a great advertising company and I have had really good results. Once your download numbers go up you will see revenue. Startapp only pays per download so you make a flat $.05 or so each and that't it no recurring revenue ( unless the app is downloaded more and more), With leadbolt you will have recurring revenue each time an ad is shown and a user clicks it. You have to balance it and just do what works for you. What works for me or him may not work with you and your customers.
    Vas and James Rebello like this.
  7. Vas Origin

Message Count:
    I once had Norton installed a long time ago. At some point it denied me access to some process or file. That's the last thing I needed - software telling me what I can and cannot do.
    I keep AVG around on my computer nowadays to let me know about malicious sites if I visit any. But it really comes down to your own ability to discern what you download, from where and whether or not you should open it.

I think that antiviruses for phones are money grabbers. Though maybe I don't use my phone like the target user. Antivirus companies are dropping the ball by putting ad SDKs into the virus category...unless of course they know something we don't and ad companies hide? Unlikely.
    Eraste likes this.
  8. hubris In the know

Message Count:
    a few things you need to watch out for with leadbolt for regular apps sometimes for live wallpapers.

All of my leadbolt apps are hit as adware by AVG and Norton. Nothing you can do, if you use notification ads they consider that adware no matter if the person opts in or not. Kinda f-ing stupid if you ask me.

I use a splash screen to load the leadbolt software agreement (opt - in/out). If people use ad blockers they will complain that the app wont get past the splash screen. It never will because they never opt in or out. The agreement will never load and never continue past that point. the user did it to themselves but will give a bad review even tho they are dumb.

I put that i use leadbolt notification ads in the description with instructions on how to opt out or get the opt out app from leadbolt that will cut out all notification/icon ads from leadbolt. But yet i still have people bitch and title bad reviews with "PUTS SPAM IN MY NOTIFICATION BAR".

Really just want me to respond to all of the dumb ones with an altered quote from David Spade

but i don't respond that way unfortunately.........

The bad reviews will calm down as people see you respond nicely.
  9. Eraste Seasoned Vet

Message Count:

Yup and those bad reviews are out weighed by your positive ones. For instance one of my apps has 50 reviews out of those 50 4 are the one star idiots. The majority of users will see the other 46 as positive and know the negatives ones are from people who just complain to complain.

Another great quote: "Nothing is free, it is what it is"!